Monday, May 21, 2007

I love to play basketball, but, unfortunately, I'm getting tired of playing the pick-up variety. Each gym or court has its own culture: there are always slight nuances to the rules in each venue (for instance, each court has it's own rules about the point total that ends a game: 11, 15, 21, etc.). An unspoken rule at one of the gyms I play at is that there are "no easy buckets". Essentially, this means that I get fouled nearly every time I touch the ball. And it's not just me: anyone who dares to get close to the basket gets fouled. Shooting free throws would completely solve the problem, but that's not a practice typically done in pick-up games. And it's killing the integrity of the game. And I hate it.

Then again, maybe I'm just a whiner who doesn't like leaving every week with a sore neck and elbow-sized bruises.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Jabron

Anonymous said...

Are you playing with older men? (Not you Jabron) They are notorious for "hard" fouls. It has something to do with reliving past glory, or, when a player loses a step (or many steps) fouling makes up for talent. Everybody should just get nice looking shoes and be satisfied...