Thursday, April 19, 2007

I spent way too much time doing 'homework' today. I say 'homework' because the classes I'm taking don't really count for anything, and I don't really have to do any of the work (mostly because I'm taking them on a credit/no credit basis). With that in mind, I spent far, far too much time preparing a report on Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a Christian pastor/scholar/secret agent who was active in the resistance to the Nazis in World War II.

In other news, Mark Buehrle (of the Chicago White Sox) pitched a no-hitter today (no player from the opposing team got a hit; note that this is distinguished from merely hitting the ball; a hit is when...just look it up). In the last two years, he is only the second pitcher to accomplish this feat in the major leagues. These days, a no-hitter is an extremely rare feat (30 teams x 162 games per team x two seasons = 9720 opportunities for a no-no, and it's only been done twice), perhaps the only thing rarer is a perfect game (where no player from the opposing team even reaches base--via a walk, hit batsman or error) Buehrle's response? "It could have been perfect."

Sadly, I would've thought the same; though, I wouldn't have said it out loud...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want to hear more of your thoughts on Dietrich Bonhoeffer's thoughts...

Anonymous said...

You pitched a few no-no's in your day. In fact, you struck out a large number one year, something like 83 out of 89...