Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sarah and I won't be posting for a few days: we're heading off on a road trip to Opatija, Croatia, a small seaside town in the northwestern section of the country (on the Adriatic coast). On the way, we'll pass through Switzerland's St. Gotthard's Tunnel, which, at 10.5 miles in length, is the world's second longest tunnel. Woo hoo. Hopefully there aren't any traffic jams. We'll stay in Opatija for two nights and then hit Venice on the way home.

Literally.

In other news, we went to Basel, Switzerland yesterday (find your own information; kidding), as per the usual when we come and visit. Not that we're creatures of habit, it's just a fun place to be. The picture below shows the view from the banks of the Rhine river.


Randy and I also played some more basketball (while Sarah ate the ice cream mentioned on her blog; though, later, she came and dutifully took pictures). I played fairly well. At one point, I made 4 or 5 three pointers in a row (note from the picture that I am well behind the three point line, which, as everyone knows, is significantly longer on European courts: 20 feet, 6 inches compared with 19 feet, 9 inches in the USA). Of course, later, I missed at least 5 in a row with the game on the line, but whatever. Whatever. In case you were wondering, this one went in.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

I like the bball action shot! Once again...jealous Have fun! You'll be back in exciting, beautiful Lapeer, MI in two weeks!

Anonymous said...

Look at the air on that jump shot...

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a long tunnel (St. Gotthard). Isn't the longest tunnel in Laerdalstunnelen? I think it is 15.3 miles...

Anonymous said...

Okay, you need to know that it could be dangerous going through a tunnel that long with a greenhorn. The last time I did that, the windshield wipers stopped working as we traveled through Switzerland on the highway home in a pouring rain behind a line of traffic held up by a burning truck hauling appliances. (I think someone left the stove on.)

Hannah said...

haha the links made me laugh