Friday, July 07, 2006

I found out that yesterday's attackers are called sandflies (known as Biting Midges to you entymologists out there). Apparently, those people who've never been bitten are particularly succeptible to the pain the little buggers cause (the article said something about locals being able to build up some sort of immunity).

After reading that the sandflies are only active at dusk, dawn, and in the rain, I went back out to work. I got a lot done, clearing a large patch of weeds, moving a couple of tons of dirt (metric of course), digging a fire pit and lining it with rocks (which, we found out later, may be useless--no fires allowed), and laying a cinderblock border around the patch. I don't particularly enjoy yardwork, but it's either that or watch TV in a language I don't understand.

On tap for tomorrow: Switzerland. Unless it rains.

No comments: