Sunday, July 09, 2006

As I mentioned, it did rain yesterday. Instead of driving several hours into Switzerland, we decided to go to a local car museum (in a town called Mulhouse) that was having a free day. As it turned out, we were a day late, and instead of paying $12 a person to get in, we walked around town and ate Doner Kebabs. Click on the link for a fascinating description of this cheap, wonderful food.

I didn’t intend for this post to be about Doner Kebabs, but they’re just so good. Made mostly from shaved, grilled meat, their contents are stuffed into a pita-bread-type material and can also contain lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and a yogurt sauce. Typically, they cost less than five dollars and are easily better than any other fast food I’ve eaten. According to the Wikipedia article, Doners may be making their way to the U.S., and a person can already find a variant of the dish in Windsor, ON (directly across the border from Detroit). Mark my words, the company who markets these will make billions. BILLIONS! Invest now. DO IT!

Anyway, yesterday Randy and I also played basketball with some local, North Africans in France. I had a really good time (aside from not understanding most of the calls, trash talking, etc.). I played well and really seemed to have some unusual spring in my legs (at one point, I found myself unintentionally hanging from the rim).

Today, we made it to Switzerland. We ended up in a town called Schwarzsee (pronounced Shvartz-key, though Sarah says that this is incorrect), a local nature hangout with a lake bordered by small mountains (6000 feet). On the way home, we took a mountain pass and found ourselves at an outdoor ‘cafĂ©’. The plastic tables and chairs sat on a parking lot outside a store (by store, I mean barn). The store (barn) had a kitchen on one side (with showers for passing bikers) and a cow barn on the other (I think there were about 7 cows inside). The view was spectacular, and we ordered milk shakes. Incidentally, a Swiss shake is milk that has been shaken (makes sense, doesn’t it?). We also bought some local, “mountain cheese”. I left with a stomach ache, but it couldn’t have been from the unpasteurized animal products. Who needs 19th century biology anyway; this is the 21st century.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Sounds great. Too bad you didn't know about this resturaunt before I went to Windsor!! You should learn french and german.

Anonymous said...

Hey Max,
Yep, still stalking and by that I mean reading your blog...and I thought it funny to see my surname out in all its glory! Hope your travels are fantastic.