Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Some nasty comments left on Sarah's blog left me with a few, not-so rhetorical questions. 1) Will I punch you in the nose, regardless of your inclusion in our extended family and the fact that you live far away? Probably not. 2) Will I use my intellect and education to ridicule you in a cogent fashion? Probably not. 3) Will I tell your parents, aunt, uncle, and grandmother what you did, so that they will berate you and feel sad? Again, probably not.

I am Sarah's husband. I am her friend. I am her confidant. I am also her protector. In an unprovoked attack, you made her upset; you hurt her feelings; you made her sad. An angry force within me says that I should make you pay. It is to the glory of God (and your good fortune) that I answer to a different Force. So while I could mount a counteroffensive on several fronts, I will take a far different course of action: I will try and forgive you; I will try and pray that God will heal your wounds and that you will draw closer to the Lord. We’ll try to keep loving you, Matt.

No comments: