Thursday, February 02, 2006

I used to look at other people like they were insane when they said things like "When I was in school, we had a paddle in the principal's office and he used it. That's what we need in education today!". While there are MANY problems in the public school system, I was always a little skeptical that a paddle could fix all. Well, today I've come to the conclusion that bringing back "the paddle" might alleviate some of the discipline problems we (I) have in school today. For example, I have a student who has been continuously bullying another student all week. He sat in the principal's office for an hour today, looking appropriately contrite. The vice principal threatened to call his parents--and this student seemed to brighten at the prospect. As soon as dad walked in, this student was all smiles. Throughout dad's lecture (using words like "communicate" and "consequence" to a student with a language level comparable to that of a three year old) this student sat with his head bowed and fought to keep the smile off his face. The whole incident is a big joke to him. He laughs after punching others. I thought maybe "the paddle" would wipe the smirk off his face. Too bad I have no such authority.......... For now I will just have to wait and watch him like a hawk because the next time it happens, he'll be suspended. And it's okay if he's still smiling then, because at least I won't have to see it :) !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...I love hearing from the young and formerly innocent about the "real world" after they have taken the plunge into adulthood. I realize the theory of causual relationships and that nothing has one cause that created it, but a good paddling does the soul good. To spare the rod in truly to spoil the child. We all need correction at times and it should involve true conviction and repentence, but if it doesn't pain is a good subsitute.