Monday, October 24, 2005

Okay, I’m back. Thanks for holding. Where were we? Oh yes, I was saying something of little significance, and you were reading and occasionally snickering.

Come to think of it, I’m not really sure if I’ve ever snickered. I’ve laughed. I’m reasonably sure I’ve cackled. I doubt you’d ever hear me emit a guffaw. Definitely I’ve chortled; I regularly chortle. I sometimes chuckle. I never titter or giggle. I may have roared once.

Okay, I just went to dictionary.com, and, as it turns out, I had my definitions all mixed up: I do not cackle. I often snicker (which is the same as a snigger, apparently), and definitely guffaw with regularity. I do not chortle (that involves a snort) but sometimes chuckle.

Come to think of it, you’re probably curious. Here are the definitions:

Cackle: to laugh or talk in a shrill manner
Chortle: to utter a snorting, joyful laugh or chuckle
Chuckle: to laugh quietly or to oneself
Giggle: to laugh with repeated short, spasmodic sounds
Guffaw: to utter a hearty, boisterous burst of laughter
Roar: to laugh loudly or excitedly
Snicker: to utter a partly stifled laugh
Snigger: to snicker
Titter: to laugh in a restrained, nervous way; giggle

No comments: